I always tell in my trainings in Froggies that before becoming a mother I wanted to have a magic lamp to ask for two wishes: singing and painting.
You can imagine that neither one nor the other are my innate talents 😉
However, since I became a mother I have managed to feel useful painting and singing. Singing because I usually sing to my children and they love it. And painting because I’ve found in the body, a perfect canvas, easy and a great family enjoyment.
That is why, after so many years of practicing, using make-up for children, making face painting, belly painting, body painting and game painting, I have decided to share with you why I think that facial makeup is one of the most beautiful resources that you can share with your children.
First of all, I have to say that I firmly believe in the power of the game to improve the world. I think that if everyone played more, the world would be a better place. At Froggies, we have a vision that the game arises from the need to share and enjoy, beyond learning, competitions, lessons or rules. And as such, we must respect it and listen to it.
I am of the opinion that game is awakening from a lethargy in which it had existed for many years, where it was directed and led, and however, begins to raise its voice screaming very high: – Here I am, and I matter a lot and I am very funny! – (I visualize it with the face of a smiling pirate, with things very clear, and you?)
So, once you think that the body painting is a just another game, where result doesn’t matter, but the road, moreover we also achieve together true works of art.
And having said all that, there I go with my 16 reasons why facial makeup is a great game and gives us multiple experiences:
16 reasons to play with the facial makeup
- Painting faces with brush is nice. The brush, sponge, water, tickling them, closing their eyes… It is a great activity because it relaxes us, and it is usually good for a lot of children.
- Colour is very visual and attractive. Having paintings that have wonderful colours attracts even more children and not so children.
- Becoming characters develops creativity, as well as the empathy and the development of a world of fantasy. It allows us to put ourselves in the shoes of other beings and it gives us wonderful games beyond of being who I am.
- The magic that happen when they see themselves in the mirror is unique. The look of children when seeing their faces is priceless.
- Fine and gross motor skills. It is a resource that can be used at any age, and that allows many parents to relax with the “mistake” as the enemy. Markers often scare us, but the brush on the body seems to be less difficult.
- A nice environment is set when our children paint us, and we paint them. It is a way of strengthening the bond, in addition to a way to enjoy a game together.
- We can play paint us any part of the body, developing different games. Not only the face is a canvas. Also, back, belly, arms, feet, legs, hands… Moreover, adding body parts gives more moments of game.
- We share daily concepts, as may be the pace (of the application of the colour), the pressure (brush or sponge), the temperature (of the water), the taste or distaste (of the result) and above all the frustration or the joy, depending on whether you like it or not our makeup.
- Rituals. We can create rituals constantly. Either before starting the activity or during the activity, depending on the character that we are. What if you’re a superhero and create a song with your superpowers?
- New resources. Being a character or having the body full of colour can lead us to create some new dynamics, which can be games, crafts, or songs. Letting ourselves go and surprise is one of the most important tips that I received when I became a mother. So, I’m giving it to you for what it’s worth, even though it’s very difficult to do.
- Different moments of evolution and learning. Body painting lets you play according to the moment in which your child is. It is an activity that allows the child to go on, as María Montessori says. If your child is at a time of colour exploration, you can finger-paint without getting dirty. If your child is with the numbers, you can play with it on the body as a canvas. Painting and erasing. The same thing with letters, geometric figures, draw landscapes…
- Stories. It is a great tool to create stories: painting them, expressing them, drawing them, or writing them down. Invented or copied. Stories and tales are a perfect game and travel companion.
- How easy it is to remove paintings (with water-based paints) and the clean that you get also brings a plus to be able to choose this resource for any afternoon.
- Post-bath. I am of the opinion that a good evening nude, painting together our bodies, playing and sharing, it could not have better snap than a big bath together, with foam and enjoyment. What could be better than the body as a canvas to give us connection and empathy?
- Glitter. If a children’s game has glitter, it is usually a guaranteed success. And body painting invites us to put glitter to fill it with even more fantasy. You know there are several types and that glitter sometimes costs a lot to take off (although what opportunities it gives us!)
- Resources at full capacity. In short, all the resources that you can imagine can be carried out with the body, face, or body parts painted: storytelling, doing massage, singing, playing indoors, outdoors or even sleep if the thing is lengthened. It is a marvellous activity that does not have more that positive messages to reinforce not only the bond, but also the experiences in the family.
I sincerely hope that you enjoy these moments, playing many times and that you lose your fear (if you have it) of not doing it “right”. Your son or daughter just wants to be with you and see his or her face painted, whatever the age and whatever the result
And answering many questions asking what brand to use, we, at Froggies, recommend Snazaroo. They are anti-allergenic, hypoallergenic and skin-friendly. It’s a great product, and we love the colours. You can buy them online or at any point where their products are distributed.
So, I hope that you like this post and that it has inspired you; and above all that you dare to do our online face painting course that will start soon. Here’s the link.
And by the way I recommend that you subscribe to our YouTube channel where you’ll find several videos of step-by-step and games for the whole family.
Thanks for reading and I am waiting to see your experiences in social media or by mail with the hashtag #JugandoConFroggies.